Thursday, November 1, 2012

Monday, 11.16pm


I really like it when the man in the apartment next door sings. He’s awful. At the moment he’s practicing this strange warbling song, which seems to only consist of the lyrics ‘hey yooouuu, hey yooouuu’. I certainly wouldn’t be wooed by it if he was using it to serenade me, but through the anonymity of the walls I’m enjoying it. I like hearing other signs of life from my boxed in little room; listening to his crap music is sort of the closest thing I have to looking out a window. In the aftermath of a hurricane, hearing music pipe up in the dark is doubly nice to hear… It better be the bloody aftermath anyway. If the last few hours have just been God having a bubble then that man will have a lot to answer for when I get up there. I imagine he has a lot to answer for anyway though, what with the increasing famines and tsunamis and things. Sorry, sorry, not God - CLIMATE CHANGE. Silly me.  

But yeah, the singing, I’m enjoying it.  My links to the outside world are depleting rapidly: everyone having gone to bed in England and America, my storm updates are now coming to my phone via my mum in Australia, when she gets a chance to watch the news. Apparently ‘Today in Aussie Parliament’ is on the set right now so I won’t have any more information for at least an hour. And so neighbor-man’s distant, warbling, uneven tones are acting like my comforting nightlight. Not that I need a nightlight anyway - I’m not turning the main light off just in case when I flick the switch to turn it on again nothing happens... This blog is highlighting a massive gap in my knowledge, isn’t it? Seeing the evidence mount up here on virtual paper, I’m suddenly realising how perfectly dreadful my understanding of technology is. I mean, I didn’t think I was the next Steve Jobs or anything, but I thought I had the essentials, you know? I'll have to add it to the list of basic life-skills that happen to have passed me by, along with mental maths, swimming and knowing difference between and ‘your’ and ‘you’re.’ Well, now I've accepted my status as technological dunce, I might as well take this opportunity to point out that my posts would be much better ordered, over a number of thematic pages if only I could work out how to do it. It’s not for lack of trying. So if one day you click on a link and my blog has suddenly become a well ordered, wordy paradise, send me some congratulatory flowers or something, because I will be extremely proud of myself, and be expecting a big to do.

It’s been calm outside for a while now, so with no more shaking walls or crashing roofs, just the pattering of the rain and the bad singing next door, and I am actually going to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment