Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy

It’s 5pm on Sunday the 28th October, and I’ve just got home, eaten, and set myself up in front of my laptop. Hurricane Sandy is heading to New York, due to flood our coastal areas and blow our power lines down with 35-55mph winds in about 27 hours. The subways will all be shut down in less than two hours. Having stocked up on tinned goods, bottled water, and checked that my phone’s torch setting still works (it’s an old sony, not a snazzy iphone. So when I charge it tonight, it will actually last me until next Wednesday and not run out of battery 3 hours later. It will also survive if I drop it down the stairs or spill detergent on it – and I know these things through experience. So I hope my mum will finally stop hounding me to get a smart phone. I just don’t trust things you can’t fix with sellotape. I hope you now see the advantage), I’m officially ‘prepared’. In anticipation of potentially not leaving my small apartment until Wednesday morning, and as this is my first hurricane, I thought I might write some ‘diary entries’ to keep myself occupied. Who knows, if cabin fever properly sets in, this may turn into a thrilling, real-time chart of my descent into madness, on the perfect gothic backdrop of the worst storm in New York history, the week of Halloween. One can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment