Thursday, October 18, 2012

Today I Forgot to Put a Notebook in my Bag

So I wrote just a few of my thoughts on a scratty bit of paper instead. 

It got a bit crinkled, and some of the dye from my jeans made the edges quite black


I don't like not having a washing machine:
It makes me dirtier. Having to go all the way to round the corner with a bag of smelly clothes is just not something I ever have the inclination to do. I can't just throw a bunch of stuff in the machine when necessary and take it out again a couple of hours later. Why has New York not undergone the transition that seems to have happened everywhere in Britain, where a washing machine is an accepted essential in the home? I thought America pushed the whole 50s housewife, kitchen appliance consumer culture thing much more than we did. Why is it acceptable to make washing your dirty laundry so public here? 

Imagine that scene in Trainspotting, where Spud wakes up in a strange house after a bender and realises he's shat the bed in a monumental way. So he sneaks downstairs, to try and get cleaned up, and bumps into the parents of the girl who brought him home (because - as he later finds out - she's only 15). The mum offers to help; Spud refuses, but she's quite insistent. So they're there in the kitchen, fighting over these sheets, her trying to take them off him, him desperately clinging on, and they start to tug, and then, in one sudden movement, they both fall backwards, and shit sprays everywhere. All over her. And him. And her husband. Imagine that, yeah? But in a New York setting. Where those sheets get taken the laundromat. You don't want to, do you?

So who's more sophisticated, America? In the UK, there are conveniently placed washing machines in every home. Evolution that is. You can stick your 4G up your arse. 
Think about it, New York. Think about it.

...


Is it worrying that I was writing this at my desk rather than scheduling our CEOs meetings or keeping spreadsheets up to date or doing something else that I should have been doing at work? 

No comments:

Post a Comment