Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday, 2.57pm


I just went outside. And I realised the worst place to be in storm-struck NYC right now is actually twitter. From what I was reading on the internet, I was expecting to see powerlines down, freak winds and a ghost town of a city. As it is, the corner shop opposite is still running, people are still driving, the postman is still delivering and the wind and rain are battering down like one would expect them to in a usual storm. I realise it is going to get a lot worse than this, what with Sandy on his way in a couple of hours, but for now, I'd quite like the current updates to mirror what is going on right this minute, rather than what I should be expecting later. Everyone's getting frightfully ahead of themselves! My room doesn’t have an outside window, so I have no frame of reference other than news channels and twitter, and, when the storm gets heavy enough, sounds from what hits the roof. I was bracing myself for the power to go out any minute, and me to be on my own, in the dark with candles and books until at least Tuesday evening. I was getting ready to wallow! I’m now going to take a break from the terrifying news narratives and settle down to a nice calming episode of Middlemarch. Aaahh, Mr. Ladislaw ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment